Feel free to get in touch with any questions you may have using the message form below.
work with us
Executive Director – Downtown San Mateo Association (DSMA)
Classification: Full-time (Part-time will be considered)
Reports to: DSMA Board of Directors
Compensation: Dependent upon experience
The DSMA is seeking a qualified Executive Director, to serve in the capacity of key support staff for services performed in the Downtown Business Improvement Area (DBIA).
Since 1986 the Downtown San Mateo Association has been authorized by the City of San Mateo as the administrator for the DBIA. Annually, the City Council approves the annual budget and program for the DSMA and allows the City to collect the assessment as part of the City’s business license. Revenues collected in the DBIA are used to provide additional cleaning services, district branding, website management, planning special events, and advocacy of businesses in the Downtown. Based on the revenue collection, the DSMA annual budget is approximately $350,000 which includes salaries, services, and programs.
Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in local government, marketing, entrepreneurship, or nonprofit management. Education requirements can be satisfied with experience.
Applicants with prior experience in project management, local government, non-profit, and membership-based organizations are encouraged to apply
Skills and Abilities
- Building relationships with businesses, elected officials, City staff and Board of Directors
- Excellence in organizational/administrative management, annual report writing, budgeting and meeting facilitation skills
- Benchmarking, goal setting, and reporting on performance measures
- Self-motivated with the ability to work independently, as well as part of a team
- Strong marketing and public relations experience
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Manage website, social media, and newsletter content
- Experience managing community-focused public events
- Social media management to increase engagement of Downtown businesses
- Regularly visits with Downtown businesses to help engage businesses with the DSMA
- Regularly walks through the Downtown to identify areas of beautification by the DSMA or in cooperation with the city
- Coordinates with City staff and chamber on special events promotions and other activities
- Personal integrity, strong moral character, and straightforwardness
- Bilingual proficiency in Mandarin or Spanish highly desired
- Familiarity with Downtown San Mateo highly desired
Send your resume and cover letter for our review. Please note that all applications need to be submitted through the following email address: [email protected]
No direct contact will be accepted in this job process. Thank you for your consideration.